Thursday, July 14, 2011

Car Thoughts

Ever since we moved to Kentucky our car has smelled like something terrible. It's like dirty gym socks, mixed with a bus full of sweaty football players, mixed with smelly food. We have searched, cleaned it out of all papers and food, Fabreezed it, and put in yummy car smells, with no luck of getting rid of the smell.
I was determined that because the previous owners had a dog and it was filthy dirty when we bought it, mixed with the Kentucky humidity it would never smell good again. {I did narrow down the smell to being somewhere behind the passenger seat but couldn't find anything.} I was beginning to think the only other solution was to get the carpets professionally cleaned, and replace the floor mats. But because we are currently saving every penny we find so we can fly home to bless Nadya, the odds of us actually getting it cleaned this summer didn't look very likely.
I talked to my mom the other day about the stench and she recommended I put in some Baking Soda as a hopeful temporary solution.. Why I had not thought of that before I have no idea. So today I decided to wipe down the car and clean everything that I could to eliminate the smell before I added in some Baking Soda.
As I was cleaning the back seat I checked the pocket behind the passenger seat and Lo and Behold the stink causer!!
I swear I have checked the pockets a million times but obviously not...
When I found the stink I immediately remembered we had watched Rhett's brothers in like February and I made them pancakes. One of them saved a left over pancake and put it in a Ziploc bag. They must have put it in the pocket and forgot about it.
It was one of the stinkiest things I have smelled in a long time and it looked nasty!! I'm so glad I found it. I made some cute little fabric baggies and poured Baking Soda in it and sewed it up. I really hope that it will help absorb the left over smell.

I guess the moral of the story is when your car reeks check and recheck everything at least 3 times before you look at alternate options! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment